Sharing yoga is an process of intimacy; one that asks for deep movement within both giver and receiver, through love, authenticity, attention and connection. There are many ways in which yoga can be shared, but here at Kula Collective we believe that the fundamental principle that links all of our yoga teaching is Connection; the concept that in order to truly help another being experience oneness, we must ourselves be a channel for that unity.
Opening ourselves to the infinite creative flow that comes through us takes time, patience and a lot of learning. Becoming comfortable enough with what we are sharing to be able to let go to this connection as we are teaching means we need to first be confident in a variety of tools and techniques, so that the classes we offer are rooted in a solid foundation of knowledge and understanding.
At Kula Collective, we are committed to providing our students with the best foundational understanding of yoga possible in the time available. In asana, this means emphasis on correct alignment, muscular engagement, anatomical knowledge and breath. We start by learning the Kula Flow, a dynamic, slow Vinyasa sequence that is highly adaptable and contains many of the building blocks you will need to make your own sequences. Students benefit from our extra focus on anatomical alignment within asana, as well as our step-by-step guide to physical and energetic thai massage-based adjustments. From here, we open the space for personal creativity, as we support students to build their own Unique Creative Flow themed around an intention meaningful to the individual. Each student will have the chance to teach their own unique flow and receive feedback from peers and facilitators, so that by the time they leave, they are empowered and inspired on their yoga teaching journey.
When we share yoga we are sharing an experience that is largely personal and internal, so it’s important to us that all our participants understand what it is to hold sacred space, how to empower through their communication in class, and how to allow space for all experiences to unfold within the safe, energetic container you will learn how to create. We make sure you know what to do when someone who is injured or pregnant comes to your class, and we help you to find your creative essence as you build your own sequences and reveal the wise teacher within. Not only will you leave the training with two entire sequences under your belt - the Kula Flow and your Unique Creative Flow, but also the tools and the confidence you need to creatively expand, and the empowerment you need to trust in what is already present within.
- Learn to teach the signature Kula Flow, complete with full anatomic and energetic cues, physical, verbal and energetic adjustments, and modifications for all levels of practice
- Receive one-on-one and group support to construct and teach your own Unique Creative Flow
- Become familiar with the form, teaching methodology, benefits and cautions of principal asanas (postures), pranayamas (breathing techniques) and kriyas (cleansing techniques)
- Explore teaching as an art - how to keep the energy flow within a class, how to create a grounded and inspired space for teaching and learning, how to weave your intention and your unique presence into your class and how to share yoga off the mat
- Learn to create various class-styles: beginner, intermediate and specialized yoga, integrating your own style into tradition techniques
- Receive a foundational education in Anatomy specific to yoga, including functional alignment, benefits and contraindications of the practice as well as learning modifications for age and common injuries/conditions
- Become familiar with the subtle yogic anatomy and the Chakras, as well as the systems of the Peruvian shamanic tradition
- Receive a foundation in the History of Yoga & The Four Traditional Paths, as well as Ashtanga philosophy (the eight-fold path) and related practices and topics to broaden knowledge and understanding of conscious living
- Teach two full classes and many mini-sequences throughout the training, and receive loving and specific feedback from the trainers and your peers
- Use your 90-day Personal Flow Design to support you in your teaching journey post-training